Food donor agreement
Our Food Waste Heroes are amateur volunteers drawn from all walks of life. Whilst we train them on the safe handling of food, we will be also relying on you to ensure that the food you donate is safe, complies with all relevant food law and is accompanied by adequate food information.
Here’s what we will do for you
- We will
- Allocate Food Waste Heroes to collect donated food from you within an agreed time slot.
- Notify you as soon as possible if we are unable to collect food at the agreed time.
- Inform you of any complaints or queries that we might receive from OLIOers who we supply with your food
- However, we will not
- Collect food from you if the Food Waste Heroes have any concerns about the safety or quality of the food or collect food that has passed its use-by date.
- where no food allergen information is provided.
- We have developed clear food safety guidelines in partnership with relevant local authorities so that you can donate your food with confidence. Our systems give you the peace of mind that your food will reach the consumer in a safe condition and that your business will not be exposed to any additional risk by helping to reduce food waste through OLIO.
What you need to do
To put your mind at ease all you need to do is to ensure the food you donate is safe to eat at the time of handover to our Food Waste Hero volunteers. There’s no difference in donating food or selling it for the price of 0. In practice this means…
- The food must be from a business registered with their local authority and hold a current Food Hygiene Rating of “3” or greater.
- You need to ensure your staff are aware of this agreement and handle the to-be-donated food the same way they would handle the rest of the food so that it is kept safe.
- Declare allergens declared and take adequate to prevent cross contamination of other foods
- If donating chilled food please ensure it is kept below 8°C and, if donating hot food, please ensure it is kept above 63°C prior to collection by our Food Waste Heroes to ensure that it is safe and to be compliant with the law.
- Do not donate any age-restricted products (ie alcohol)
- You must tell us immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you become aware of anything which might affect the safety of food donated to us.
- The food must be from a business that has in place, for the duration of this agreement, a public liability insurance policy with a reputable insurance company for not less than £1 million per claim.
We would love to use images from time to time to promote the great work that you are doing with us, but we would like to make sure that you are okay with this.
Here are the rules that we will apply to the use of such images:
You grant OLIO permission to use photographs taken by our Food Waste Heroes for the purpose of promoting your contribution to cutting food waste and to encourage others to follow your lead. This includes (but is not limited to) the pictures our Food Waste Heroes take of your food when they list it on the OLIO app. We would love to occasionally use these pictures as examples in our communications (newsletters, social media posts, etc.).
For us to be able to do this, you do not object to OLIO:
- i) Storing copies of such photographs for as long as necessary so that we can use them for this purpose.
- ii) Sharing these photographs through our website, social media and/or local/national media
iii) Contact you for if requested by media contacts who want to report on the amazing work we’re doing together.
Either of us may cancel this agreement with 14 days written notice.